Monday, March 18, 2013

Your Shower Curtain's Dirty BIG Secret

Vinyl shower curtains. No big deal, right? Most of us grew up with them, and for many they're just a basic part of a home. Even the smell is familiar. So by default they must be benign, right? WRONG. Absolutely, awfully, must-get-rid-of-it-immediately WRONG. I'm sorry, I don't mean to alarm you, really, but this is so important. Most often I recommend steady changes to my readers as they seek a cleaner, healthier life, but this is something that requires immediate action. That cute little flower shower curtain hanging in your bathroom has to go NOW.  Let me tell you why...
Have you ever heard that statistic about indoor air being more polluted than outdoor, city air? Well your shower curtain could be a major culprit. Vinyl or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is one of the most common building materials because it's cheap and easy to manufacture. But cheap in my opinion is rarely better, and vinyl is a perfect example. It's highly toxic to make, hazardous when discarded, and poisonous to your home. They are replaced so often that many just sit in landfills releasing chemicals over time as they break down. Truly nasty stuff. And if you are using vinyl shower curtains not only are you jeopardizing the health of your home but you are contributing to a major source of environmental pollution. Vinyl shower curtains alone have been proven to release 108 measurable volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, 7 of which are listed by the EPA as hazardous air pollutants, all of which have been proven to damage organs and impact respiratory, neurological and reproductive health. But where are the warnings? It's true, unless you do your homework or if you happen on a once-in-a-while article like this one from the Los Angeles Times, you may never know. I won't list all the ways in which PVC really is a major no-no in the home; you can read about it for yourself here at Greenpeace.org among many sites. But I will share a big "Aha!" for me about shower curtains in particular: when we shower, steam is produced, which makes more effective the transfer of gases into the body, primarily via the lungs. So is that something you want to happen when you are literally engulfed in VOCs and hazardous air pollutants? It's serious. And it's scary. But enough with the lecture, onto the solution!

One of our cotton shower curtains
It's really simple: replace your vinyl shower curtains with cloth ones. I prefer linen, hemp or cotton shower curtains over vinyl anyway, not just for health reasons but for style. They are much more chic ;) Around our tub we have a white cotton shower curtain with eyelet detailing, and we've had it for years (less waste too!). It really is so elegant, and it washes easily in the washing machine. Peacock Alley has a beautiful Egyptian cotton shower curtain available, and Pottery Barn has one that has a cute blue and white paisley design. But you don't have to spend a lot either. You can find them at Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Overstock and Amazon. Or perhaps at your local bath store. There is no shortage of patterns and price points.  And even with natural fabric, if they aren't organic be sure to wash them a couple of times right away to rinse the chemicals from growing/processing. I am nothing if not thorough ;) You will also want to pick up a non-toxic curtain liner, as many liners are vinyl as well. You can find them from Gaiam or from one of the sites listed here from Alternativeconsumer.com. But don't stop there. Once you get rid of your shower curtains, move on to those cheap vinyl blinds. And if you had been thinking about laying down vinyl flooring, go in a different direction. Start investing in some natural materials like cotton, linen, hemp (organic when possible) and wood. The good, old-fashioned stuff. Yes it will probably be more expensive, but is it worth it? Absolutely. It's your health and the health of your family. And that is always worth it.

Thanks for trusting me to share my experiences and knowledge with you. I hope the next time you read one of my posts it will be from the comfort of your vinyless home! Stay chic and healthy, y'all.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea about this, but it certainly makes sense now that you've enlightened me! we're moving in a couple of weeks and if our next place needs a shower curtain, I'll get a cotton one and think of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorry! So glad to hear. I am always overjoyed when I am able to help a little, so thank you for letting me know! Hope things are well out there in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Love - I had commented on this on Facebook & I know you mentioned something back and I am looking for a new curtain and I can't remember what you said - I think maybe it was about the lining ?? do you have a comment anywhere?
    hope you are well - you and your family is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren - I know I commented on this and you responded back w some helpful info - I can't find for the life of me maybe it was on FB - do you happen to have? i think it was around recomended lining or material? going shopping.
    SMOOCHES you and your family is SO GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgen! I think it was on Facebook, I will go back and look :) But yes, see my post for more info on 100% hemp shower curtains, which actually go in the tub and don't have to have a liner (unless you want one). It gets wet, but after your shower, ring it out well, and let it hang outside the tub to dry. Hemp is naturally mildew- and mold-resistant! The other option would be to get a hemp or cotton shower curtain and if you are buying a lining, you will want to get one that is polyester--it is also mildew-resistant, and although not totally ideal b/c it's a synthetic fabric, it at least does not put off toxic gasses like PVC/vinyl. Plan on washing your liner every couple of weeks. That is what I do :) Hope this helps!

      Delete

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!