Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Better Bathtime for Baby

Noëlle after her bath
Good afternoon all my chic, savvy and crunchy mamas and dadas (I am in constant toddler mode.) Last week a friends messaged me on Facebook to ask me what bathtime products I use for Noëlle because she has a baby girl on the way! I was delighted that she asked! After that conversation I thought I would share with all of you what I told her, and more: healthy bathtime essentials, what products to avoid, and what little extras can be done. Back when I was pregnant and researching products for my baby-on-the-way, I was absolutely astonished by how many were truly UNnatural. It dawned on me that most people probably don't understand or know what toxic ingredients are, and what's more, they simply trust the household brands to make their products with integrity without doing the research. Maybe you can't trust a lot of the companies out there, but you can trust me! I do my homework, I try different things, I decide on my favorites, and of course I share what works...

First, a quick quiz. Name the product to which this list belongs

Cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium trideceth sulfate, PEG-80 sorbitan laurate, PEG-150 distearate, fragrance,  tetrasodium EDTA, polyquaternium-10, quaternium-15, yellow 10, orange 4, sodium hydroxide. Is it...

A. Engine degreaser

B. Car coolant

C. Baby shampoo

D. Roach killer


The answer, I am sorry to say is C. Baby shampoo. And not just any baby shampoo, it is Johnson & Johnson's classic tear-free formula (yep, the yellow bottle that has been around for decades!) While I was doing my research I did find a hopeful example of what I talked about in my post, You Matter! It seems back in 2009 that Johnson & Johnson came under fire for using ingredients that are potentially "cancer-causing." As a result of unrelenting activist groups working on behalf of millions of concerned citizens, J&J promised to change their formula by the end of this year! And it seems it's on track to keep its promise. Read more here from the Associated Press. And more here from ForbesAccording to the same article from the AP, the other brands that have been pressured by numerous organizations calling for reformulation were Desitin, Aveeno, Neutrogena, RoC, Clean and Clear, and Lubriderm. How many of you thought that those companies, especially Aveeno, Neutrogena and Lubriderm, created products that were relatively natural and safe? You're not alone. 

I see examples every day of what I believe is consumer action based on lack of information, and I want to help people to get the information. Last week I watched a mother slather her baby with Lubriderm lotion, that classic white bottle with blue writing. With catch-phrases "hypoallergenic" or "dermatologist-tested," you thought it was good stuff right? Curious myself, I went home and looked up the ingredient list. This is what I found. Lubridern's lotion contains water, mineral oil, glycerin, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cetyl alcohol, panthanol, cetearyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, stearic acid, dimethicone, carbomer, ceteareth-20, sodium hydroxide, sodium citrate, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance, citric acid, ethylparaben.  If you can't spot what is wrong with this list, I suggest you research those ingredients, particularly the mineral oil and parabens, methyl- being arguably the worst. There are several chemicals in there that are highly questionable and some known toxins. I am certain that if this loving mother had known what was in that lotion, she would not have been smearing it all over her child. 

But even with Johnson & Johnson and others making changes, I still avoid brands that haven't had the best interests of their customers at heart all along. I prefer organic, natural, cruelty-free products from brands I have always been able to trust. I also love supporting smaller manufacturers who are doing good work. So, I have highlighted the bad and hopefully given you, if nothing else, a reason to question what you thought you knew about "natural products." Don't be fooled by misleading catch-phrases and fancy packaging. It's a great habit to get into to start reading the ingredients in everything! If you don't know what something is, go home and look it up. Take the time, it's worth it. 

Now onto what I LOVE and use for Noëlle. Without a doubt there are a whole heap of excellent bath-time products for babies. But I have my favorites. And I only share what I know. So here you have it. First, some companies that are go-tos of mine for a lot of things pregnancy, mama, and baby include: Earth Mama Angel Baby, Seventh Generation (click on Baby), and Organic Essence. Jason is another brand I use for a lot of things (toothpaste, lotion, vitamin e oil, etc). And now for specifics:

For shampoo/bath gel:
I first bought Earth Mama Angel Baby Shampoo and Body Wash before Noëlle was born, and I love it. It is an organic, "zero toxin" baby shampoo and body wash. It has a very light, natural scent, and it won't hurt them if they swallow some! It is also vegan (no animal by-products) and no animal testing! I have also used Earth Mama, Angel Baby pregnancy and postpartum products. I LOVE this company and highly recommend you explore their products!

I also use Seventh Generation Baby Foaming Shampoo and Wash. This is what I bought when I ran out of the Earth Mama, Angel Baby shampoo, simply because I wanted to try other products. I love it equally. It is also a "zero toxin" product and cruelty-free as well. Although I might prefer the Angel Baby shampoo because it is all organic :)

For Bubble Bath:
For myself and for Noëlle, now that she doesn't eat the suds, I use Seventh Generation's Bubble Bath. I took a bath myself on Sunday and used it. It foams well and has just a light scent. I add organic essential oils like ylang ylang, Jasime and lavender to my bath if I want a scent ;) 

For Lotion:
I use Organic Essence's Organic Shea Butter with Lavender on Noëlle and myself! I absolutely love how nourishing and moisturizing shea butter is. It has a very oily feel when warmed, but it absorbs really well into the skin and leaves it very soft. And with a light lavender scent, using essential oils, it is calming for Noëlle. A great nap- and bedtime lotion, and great for infant massage. They also have a fragrance-free Organic Shea Butter for sensitive babies or anyone who doesn't like lavender.

I also use Jason's Natural Vanilla Hand and Body Lotion on both of us. Even Aaron loves it!

For Diaper Cream (I know, it's not exactly a bath-time product, but I want to share my fave!):
Young Living's Kidscents Tender Tush Ointment. Absolutely WONDERFUL. It is 100% all-natural (contains no synthetics, chemicals or perfumes), it non-toxic, smells amazing, and is really effective. It's made with therapeutic-grade essential oils like lavender, sandalwood and chamomile (Young Living is my go-to company for essential oils) as well as cacoa, coconut, wheat germ, almond and olives oils, and I cannot say enough about this product! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Also great for mama hands and cuticles.

So that's it for products. But here are some extra measures I recommend for a healthy bath-time:

Consider a shower-head/faucet-head that filters out the chlorine and other chemicals in the bath water. Think about this: not only is the bathwater itself chlorinated, but warm baths create steam, which releases chlorine gas into the air. This is then taken into the lungs. Better yet, I would consider a water filter for all the household water (for teeth-brushing, for drinking, for showers/baths). We had a filtration system at our house growing up, and my mom loved knowing that all of our water was pure!

Use organic or at least 100% cotton towels and washcloths, and if not organic, be sure to wash them twice before use.

Consider only bath-toys, mats and faucet heads/cushions that are non-toxic! Read the labels. For toys, Green Sprouts stacking cups, which have little holes in the bottom where water passes through each one in a different pattern. Cannot say enough about how much my girl loves these.
Noëlle never gets tired of them! For a spout cover, I have Puj's Snug green elephant, which is non-absorbent (no mildew) and made of recycled materials. Green Sprouts also has a non-slip bath mat made of 100% rubber, which of course is all-natural.

Replace any vinyl shower curtains with natural ones, or at least polyester. Vinyl is extremely toxic. See my blog post, Your Shower Curtain's Big Dirty Secret for more information and great, healthy alternatives.

So that's it for today! I am sure it was enough :) Please feel free to ask me any questions via my comments section, and I hope you will share my blog with your friends and subscribe if you haven't already!

And remember, babies don't really get "dirty" for a long while. Natural oils, including scalp oils, are important for health and balance of the skin, good bacteria, and the entire immune system of the body. So do yourself and your baby's skin and hair a favor and don't bathe her every day. I know it's often suggested as a part of a daily routine, but so are a lot of questionable things. So if I may: use common sense here. That said, in between baths wash face, hands, and neck to remove food, milk, and other residue. Then, when bath-time comes, rest assured you are prepared to make it as healthy and delightful as possible!

In health and happiness,

Lauren
Ms. Crunchy Chic and mama to a happy, healthy water baby :)


6 comments:

  1. I love this post so much, Lauren! your website will be my go-to resource when I have babies of my own. great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! Thank you so much Dorry for following and commenting :) I appreciate the feedback and love to help. Hope you guys are well! How is the West Coast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth HuffmasterMay 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

    I love the information, but this is depressing! I had no idea mineral oil was not good for you and never thought to investigate further, as "mineral oil" sounds pretty harmless when you read it on a label. Keep the info coming, Lauren! Definitely eye-opening and helpful since I have a baby on the way, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, congratulations! So exciting! Boy or girl? Aww, very cool. I know! The name is misleading, isn't it? Mineral oil is a synthetic oil made from petroleum(so are a LOT of things including parabens, plastics, etc. and none is really "good" for the human body.) Here is some more good information on mineral oil: http://www.livestrong.com/article/185370-why-is-mineral-oil-bad-for-your-skin/ It really isn't good for you. It has no benefits for the skin, and can actually prematurely age skin. In fact I have read that mineral oil is what causes women's lips to lose their color after years of wearing lipstick. Also, it blocks the absorption of vitamins internally when taken internally. Best to stay away altogether!! It's super cheap to produce and seems moisturizing, and that is why it's in so many things. Watch out for "petroletum" and "parrafin/paraffinum" too, as these are synonyms for mineral oil. Yucky stuff, really! Just used so often it seems okay. Also, please don't use conventional baby oil! It's pretty much pure mineral oil and maybe some synthetic fragrance. Lovely, right? For babies? Glad to help!

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth HuffmasterMay 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM

    It's a girl! :) And thanks again for all of the SUPER helfpul information. I have been using baby oil for years as a moisturizer on my legs and thought I just had REALLY dry skin - but now it makes so much more sense. You'll be happy to know that I ordered an organic shower liner after reading your previous blog and I just splurged on some Earth Mama Angel Baby Birth/Baby essentials. Keep up the great work - the blog is really fantastic and you are definitely making a difference :) I'm so glad I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, thank you for sharing Elizabeth!! Love that you are taking this information seriously b/c it is serious!! :) Please let me know on my Crunchy Chic Facebook page how you like the new EMAB products and what you recommend others should try after you do! Thanks for following my blog :) And best wishes in your pregnancy! What a blessed time

    ReplyDelete

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!