Friday, October 4, 2013

It's Soup Season!

My crock pot getting to work on squash soup!
Hello everyone. I know, I am late again on posting. Finding it harder than ever to sit down at my computer for any length of time. Oh but I so enjoy it when I do. One of the things I have noticed about being a working mom is that not only is blogging a challenge, but finding time to plan and make nice meals for my family is harder than ever. It's hard enough as a full-time mom, but throw a long workday in there, and forget it. I know whether you are a parent or not, that many of you probably struggle with finding time to make truly healthy meals. And that is why I want to talk about that wonderful contraption, the Crock Pot. Awww, the Crock Pot. While my understanding is that a crock pot can even bake bread and cake and even cook spaghetti, what I use it for mostly are soups and stews because they are complete meals and even easier to make in a Crock Pot. For those of you who struggle with finding time to eat healthfully in the evenings, I think that the crock pot may be exactly the solution you need to avoid greasy nightly take-out and canned soup or cold cereal dinners. It certainly is how Aaron and I avoid it, and in doing so, how we make some of the yummiest meals we have all year! One of my favorite things about this cooking method is that it's so much less work than the step-by-step stove-top recipes. Aside from browning some meat or making a roux to thicken stew, you pretty much chop and add the ingredients (in 1-2 stages), turn the crock pot on, and leave it! Aaron and I often prep the ingredients at night and then in the morning toss them in before we leave for work. By that evening we have a delicious meal waiting for us! I'm telling you, even with us both working now this 'ol gal has ensured that we continue to eat healthfully. So grab a pen and paper, get your allrecipes and foodnetwork.com fingers ready, and let me share some of my favorite ideas so that you can keep you and your family healthy and well-fed this fall and winter.

About a month ago, when I started back to work, Aaron and I quickly discovered that I couldn't be designated cook anymore, especially with my hour-long commute and desire to spend more time with Noëlle in the evenings. The problem is that we don't eat out that much because it's hard to ensure quality ingredients with most restaurants, and we rarely get take-out in particular because the carry-out food containers are usually cheap plastic or Styrofoam, which end up in the food. And with a baby, we can't do the old "let's-just-have-a-bowl-of-cereal" dinner anymore. It presented a real challenge at first. But before too long, we found the solution: our crock pot and a plan! Now, Aaron and I come up with a weekly meal plan, do our shopping, and fire up the crock pot on Sundays for the first of 2-3 meals that last throughout the week.

To me, fall is the time for soups and stews! These are fantastic meals too because, if you make them from scratch and take care with the ingredients, they can be both hearty and healthy. Delicious and nutritious. And really easy. Basically all a crunchy chic--working--gal can ask for. And the best part is that the soups we make are total "crowd" pleasers. Aaron and Noëlle go crazy for the bubbling, steaming surprises awaiting our arrival from beneath the glass lid. In fact, tonight while this post was saved in my drafts awaiting final additions, Noëlle ate 3 bowls of chicken and bean chili (with peppers and onions too, two things she doesn't otherwise eat). She couldn't get enough!

If you are unfamiliar with using a crock pot, I highly recommend buying a specific crock pot cook book so you will get the most out of that miracle-worker. In the meantime, I will share with you my favorites! One of the great things about a lot of these soups and stews is that many of the ingredients are seasonal. Pumpkin, squash, potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, carrots, garlic and onions can all be harvested this time of year. Many of these grow in our own garden or a friend's garden nearby, but you can also of course find these types of ingredients in your local co-op or organic section of your grocery store. Remember, always go for organic! And get creative. Do you have an organic pumpkin patch near you? Pumpkins can be used for more than jack-o-lanterns! Go pick out a couple to make #1 on my list of Favorite Soups and Stews:

1. Pumpkin or squash bisque with coconut milk, and turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and fresh spinach; chop and throw it all in together! One of the easiest to make, aside from cleaning a big squash or pumpkin. And one of the best parts about it, if you save and roast the seeds, you have a popcorn substitute for movie-night!
2. White bean and chicken chili with green chilis and bell peppers; don't forget to soak the beans first. This happens to be one of Noëlle's favorites, although really she loves them all.
3. Beef stew with carrots and potatoes; be sure to brown the meat separately and then add to the pot before veggies; also put veggies in strategically depending on cooking time needed and consistency desired.
4. Chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles, peas, carrots, and celery; make the noodles separately
5. Chicken tortilla soup with homemade tortilla strips; use good chicken stock and add organic corn, black beans, and jalapeno for a kick; make sure to grate cheese, squeeze a little lime, and add avocado for garnish
6. Boeuf Bourguignon (just like Julia made--recipe found in Mastering the Art of French Cooking)
7. Vegetable soup with quinoa and potatoes; use whatever veggies you want! The more, the better; this is a great way for picky little eaters to get their veggies in a medium that is totally delicious
8. Chicken and wild rice/quinoa soup with veggies: I made up my own recipe; cook the quinoa or wild rice separately and add later after soup is done; again, add whatever veggies you want to!
9. Pea soup with ham (and homemade organic corn bread); start with dried split peas, which can usually be found in bulk at your local food co-op or Whole Foods
10. Lentil soup with vegetable broth, carrots and celery; again, buy the lentils in bulk. Whole Foods has organic, fair trade varieties! Even better.

So that's it. Nothing to it really. Just some ideas for spicing up your week with a little fall fare. If you have some favorites or ideas to share, please do so! I always love to hear what what healthy, flavorful meals other crunchy chic guys and gals are cooking up. You might have thought that crock pots are an appliance from your grandmother's time, but this crunchy chic gal cannot live without hers! And I would bet that once you get a taste of some of that slow-cooked chicken and bean chili or tortilla soup, you won't be able to either.

Now, off to watch Rock of Ages. Aaron rented it and is excited; we both like musicals but have no idea what to expect. My husband, at 33-years-of-age is threatening to go to sleep at 9 pm if I don't finish up. So it's time to go, munch on some squash seeds from an earlier batch of squash soup, and rock out to Paradise City. Thanks for listening and following!

From my kitchen to yours,

Ms. Crunchy Chic



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!