Monday, December 17, 2012

Who's Your ND?



Hello everyone and a GREAT BIG HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all you wonderful gals!

It's been a couple of weeks since I wrote, but I had good reason. 2 weeks ago I got the shingles, and then last week my baby girl Noëlle got the chickenpox. What? Yep, you read it right. Nightmare. I am a healthy 30-year-old without any chronic illness. My immune system is top-notch and I rarely get sick. In fact I don't remember the last time I had the flu or a cold, and I live, as you well know by now (wink), a healthy lifestyle of mostly organic eating, time in nature/country living, lots of exercise, no smoking/drug use, and very little alcohol except a glass of wine or two. So what's the deal? 

Don't despair, your crunchy-chic "guidess" has not steered you wrong all the posts. Many of you may remember that I posted a couple of months ago about my terrible accident with an immersion blender. Well, what I didn't share is the night I had my procedure to repair my finger I was given a tetanus shot. Well it seems that this was the lemon on the rim of the perfect cocktail. The ingredients were lots of stress, long-term lack of sleep (both symptoms of being a new stay-at-home mom who also works as a consultant) and then I believe the tetanus shot was the finishing touch. Sure, the medical institution says "no way!" But I have talked to knowledgeable folks and done my own research and found information suggesting that tetanus takes a toll on the liver, the adrenals and the immune system, and perhaps with the stress and lack of sleep, it was too much for my body. I also found a number of cases of people reporting that they got shingles shortly after having a tetanus shot (anywhere from 2 days-3 months). So whether this is precisely what happened or not, it was totally bizarre. To make matters worse, while nursing, Noëlle came into contact with it. So almost exactly 2 weeks later, right on schedule, she got the chickenpox...at 7.5 months of age! Ugh. So I share this story with you today, rather sheepishly given my claim to perfect health, so I can ultimately illustrate for you the care that Noëlle and I received from our Naturopathic Doctor (we share one).

For those of you who have never heard of or know very little about Naturopathic Medicine or how Naturopathic Doctors differ from traditional Medical Doctors, please click here.  In short, during medical school both NDs and MDs study intensely in the same sciences. But, particularly after the first 2 years, there are drastic differences. Where MDs learn more about how to target, isolate and treat symptoms primarily with drugs and surgery, NDs learn about clinical nutrition, homeopathy and botanical medicine. And while MDs are educated in a system-based approach (each body system separately), NDs learn how the body works synergistically/holistically (ie how a symptom in one part of the body is related to/may affect overall wellbeing and anatomy). What I have found in my experience is that MDs focus more on treatment, whereas NDs focus more on prevention, although they also treat VERY effectively as I have witnessed, first-hand.

My Treatment: When I figured out I had shingles, I called my ND and she asked me to come in immediately. In her office, she gave me a B12 shot, which she explained would go immediately to the nerve route affected and help relieve the pain. She also suggested I add lavender oil (yes!) to the calomine lotion I was already using. She also sent me home with a potent blend of Vitamin C, Zinc, L-Lysine (an amino acid shown to slow down the growth of the virus), and a number of other herbs. She suggested extra vitamin c and zinc, which also stops the spread of virus. And she told me to take oatmeal baths as needed. That night, thanks to the B12 shot, the pain, irritation and redness was reduced. I began taking the supplements immediately, which I was to do for the next 5 days, and within a day I noted more rapid healing and pain reduction. And where shingles can last 3 weeks, months or even years, it was completely gone in a week! The best part is that I recovered without one drug. Nothing she gave me worked against my body, weakened my immune system or "poisoned" the virus. It all strengthened my body and allowed my body to fight it! She also told me that this was a very random case and not because I am unhealthy. It doesn't mean I am prone to another case. So no, I'm not gonna get a shingles vaccine...that's generally the next question.

Noëlle's Treatment: Her first pock appeared last Monday afternoon. It was small and I didn't pay much attention at first as I thought it was just a small skin irritation. Then on Tuesday morning she had a severe-looking diaper rash with many "angry" bumps, a lot of redness, and a few more spots had appeared on her abdomen. So what I had hoped wouldn't happen (and often may not with breastfeeding babies!) I realized had happened. She had gotten the chickenpox! So I called our doc who in her general calm nature, told me to bring her in the next morning for an exam and assessment. So I took her in on Wednesday and she confirmed that yes she had contracted a pretty good case of the chickenpox, which was affecting primarily her diaper area (moms, it's important to keep this area as dry as possible if your baby is exposed b/c the most vulnerable areas are those that are generally wet and dark, the perfect incubators for virus).

The doc gave me a couple of really helpful things: PharMAX heal calendula cream with other potent, all-natural ingredients that both heals and relieves irritation, and a homeopathic remedy spray called ER 911 that quiets the nervous system, relieving both physical discomfort and mental anxiety/trauma (literally "calms the nerves") AND is effective at reducing fever. She also suggested peppermint oil to reduce fever, so we rubbed Young Living Peppermint Oil on her feet Wednesday night, when her fever was the highest. And on Thursday, after starting the remedies and peppermint oil, her fever had come down and we didn't even have to use Motrin more than one night! I also gave her one spray of a zinc/vitamin c spray each day (I take 5 daily). For immediate relief she had also suggested oatmeal and baking soda baths for her, with lavender, and those seemed to relieve the spots instantly. And I diffused and rubbed Melaleuca (tea tree) oil on her feet and chest daily, as Melaleuca is anti-viral. And we gave her lots of diaper-free time. Noëlle is healthy and was able to fight it well, but the biggest difference came after we began using the the PharMAX heal several times a day as well as the ER 911 as well as the oils, which our ND believes in greatly. I am pleased to report that by Thursday, just 3 days after her first pock appeared, they began healing, and no more appeared after Wednesday. Her fever also broke on Friday. So my almost 8-month-old baby had gotten over the chickenpox in 5 days! And the spots are going quickly as I continue using the cream. And once again, the best part is that everything we did was 100% natural and only strengthened her further. And now she has perfect immunity...and without an--in most cases--truly unnecessary chickenpox vaccination.


I recommend always that you do your research and explore everything you can when it comes to health and wellness and not just accept what you may have always been told is the "right way." There are so many options nowadays for health and wellness procedures and medical practitioners. And there is no reason in the world NOT to give NDs as much credit and chance as MDs. NDs are well-educated and take a more natural approach to preventative medicine and treatment (NDs can and do prescribe antibiotics when absolutely necessary and do also administer vaccinations). Most MDs are focused more on drugs and surgery as the primary means of treatment, without much focus on natural prevention or nutrition. The problem is that drugs don't strengthen the body, they mask symptoms and often leave it susceptible to illness. BUT, MDs excel at emergency, life/limb-saving medicine. If someone in my family has an emergency, we go to the hospital. I commend their life-saving abilities! But I am talking about a model of chronic disease prevention and wellbeing, and the ND model of care in my own opinion is much better. I have gone to MDs and NDs and have had many family members with serious illness who have. But don't just take my word for it. You owe it to yourself and your family to explore all your options, and an ND is one of your options.

If you are looking for a pediatrician for your child, especially, or if you are interested in seeing what else is out there for you, at least call and schedule a consultation with a couple NDs. Meet and interview them and see if one could be right fit. If you choose one who has been in practice for a while, with a reputation for excellence, like I did, I know you won't be disappointed. I can say honestly that every time I see her, and every time she assists my body or Noëlle's body in recovering/fighting something, I am healthier and my immune system stronger than before I saw her and much less vulnerable to the next illness. Can you honestly say that about your doctor? To find an ND in your area, click here.   And as always, please ask me questions via the comment section. Here's to your health and happiness this Holiday Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!