Thursday, November 29, 2012

Food, Meet Baby. Baby, Food

Hello everyone! Today's post is especially for you mamas and mamas-to-be...and for dads too. We have started introducing solid food to my daughter, Noëlle, who is now 7 months old, and I wanted to share our experience. I exclusively nursed her for her first 6.5 months, not wanting to introduce foods before my girl was really ready. Even now that she is eating a bit, her primary food source is still breast milk. It provides her with the nutrients she needs in a form designed just for her, is easily digested and assimilated, doesn't inflame the system the way formula can and often does and may actually prevent allergies, and it delivers antibodies and probiotics to build her immune system, which keeps her healthy and protected from illness. So now, on to food!

When to Introduce Solids? Some parents introduce solid foods as early as 4.5 months. That just didn't sound right me and there is a lot of evidence suggesting it isn't best. I have even witnessed cases of doctors recommending that babies begin eating solid foods early (some at 3 or 4 months!), only to have those babies react very poorly. I was in fact one of those who did not handle solid foods well when my mom's doctor said to start me at 4 months on rice cereal and cow's milk (hard on new digestive systems!). I also know some moms wait a long time...and I do mean a long time (12+ months!). And this didn't feel right either. So when was the right time for Noëlle? I have always suspected that every baby is different and each is ready at different times, and I wanted to be absolutely sure that we did wait until she was truly ready. But how important is waiting? And how would I know when she was? I talked to my naturopathic doctor and did my own homework. And I discovered some pretty compelling stuff along the way that helped me decide...



My Quest to Find Answers: I began researching to make the best, most informed decision I could make. I read studies and findings, articles and books, and talked to a lot of people including my doctor and midwives (I do recommend this as well). I learned that size/weight shouldn't be an indicator of health. For instance, Noëlle is in the "20th percentile" for weight, but this doesn't mean she is malnourished or that she needs to eat solid foods NOW. She is very tall (80th!), very active, energetic and engaging, and she loves life. She has always been slender but she has absolutely thrived on breast milk alone. And she drinks a lot. I learned that my body will adjust and make enough milk for Noëlle's needs as it has always done. So I relaxed.

I learned that babies' digestive readiness happens at different times. And the longer you wait, within reason of course, the more "ready" your baby is and the more likely she will react well to the foods. Sorry to say it to you tired moms, but it's really not on your clock or your doctor's or Gerber's. It's on your baby's....or it really should be. I found that the longer I waited, within reason of course, the more developed the digestive system and therefore the more "ready" Noëlle would be to handle food. I already had figured it, but it was confirmed in my research: earlier is not necessarily better. So even if your doctor says to begin feeding your baby simply based on her weight or a perceived need for calories, please proceed with caution.

I learned what can happen if I did introduce foods before Noëlle was ready to digest them. The Adverse Reactions to Foods Committee of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology concluded that delaying the introduction of solid foods could decrease the risks of allergies later in life, and that absolutely no solid foods should be introduced before 4 months. So beware if your doctor says you should introduce them before then. Literally, in young babies who are not yet ready, the body cannot break down solid food and therefore particles may actually leak into the body, creating a defensive histamine response. So lack of digestion can literally create a food allergy! This is especially true with foods that are harder for adults even to digest, including grains and dairy. So be especially careful with those (hello rice cereal!). I also learned that once she was ready, it was best to introduce 1-2 foods at a time and feed her those same foods for 3-4 days and be sure that she handles them well. Unlike with adults, variety doesn't matter to a baby. So just stick with 1-2 things for a few days.

After all of it, what I found most compelling in my research, and what became the basis for our process, was that eating is a social activity for primates. In other words, babies want to partake in what mama and daddy are doing when they eat, and that happens--not surprisingly--when they are physically ready to do so. It's biological.  It's not as much about "caloric consumption" in the beginning as it is about joining in on an activity! So we had found our answer! We would follow Noëlle's lead; and we were supported in doing so by our naturopathic pediatrician (please consult with your pediatrician but get a second opinion if you are hearing information that doesn't jive with you; and if there is a Naturopathic Pediatrician in your area, I HIGHLY recommend having a consultation with him/her).

The Food Intro: So we waited for signs--signs like sitting up on her own (seems logical for eating, right?), reaching for our plates and silverware on the table, watching us intently when we ate, opening her mouth when we did, wanting to take a bite of whatever it was we were eating, fussing for us to share, etc. What we saw was that Noëlle at 4.5 months wasn't even close to being ready. She wasn't even sitting up, she wasn't drinking or wanting sips of our water, wasn't showing any interest in our food or curiosity even about what we were doing when we ate. And you know what...she wasn't ready at 6 months either. So we didn't feed her. And then BAM! At 6.5 months she acted interested in what we were doing. So that is when we started!

Even then, when we first gave her bites of organic carrots that we steamed and mashed, she struggled to move the pureed food back and swallow. Young babies are "tongue-thrusters," it's part of the sucking reflex and enables them to nurse/suck on a bottle. The tongue is only for sucking and they literally don't yet know how to use that muscle to move solid foods back to the throat to swallow them. And even at 6.5 months when she first started, she struggled a bit. Now, 3 weeks later, she is handling food like a pro and enjoying it for the most part, even when it's pureed turnips for dinner! Which brings me to the second part of this blog: TYPES OF FOODS FOR BABIES. There is so much out there on the topic, but the following are my guidelines for healthy food after my own research and understanding of body chemistry, digestion, etc.

ORGANIC: to me, this is non-negotiable considering all the nasty pesticides, herbicides, genetic altering, and drugs that are used in non-organic foods, which have been linked to all kinds of illnesses, diseases and other maladies such as food allergies. Buying organic food and foods you know were grown without pesticides and herbicides by our local farmers, is our only protection; and our babies and their tiny, vulnerable, developing bodies need that protection. I know most people have some idea about how toxic pesticides are, but watch the documentary Genetic Roulette for a compelling case on just how bad genetically modified foods are, especially for children. Note: even when soy is organic, there is a lot of evidence now about how soy really isn't good for the body. Read more here. So even if you are vegetarian/vegan, there are other alternatives like lots of beans and rice, peas, lentils, goat and sheep's cheese, etc for protein sources.

HOMEMADE: sure we will probably buy some jars of good quality, organic baby food for when we are traveling, but in general it is all homemade for Noëlle. She is worth the effort, and by steaming, mashing, adding my own filtered water which is sourced from our well, and pureeing her foods, I can be sure she is getting fresh, wholesome, minimally processed foods with ZERO additives. I feel good every time she takes a bite, and since we process her foods generally based on what we have in the house and are eating for dinner, it ensures that we buy and make more root veggies and leafy greens for ourselves! There is so much good information online regarding homemade, wholesome baby food. I hope you give it a shot! And you can always pressure can your fresh foods and make your own jarred baby food! We plan to make our own this winter from our fall veggies, as I love to "can" them this time of year anyway! You will need some basic equipment, but you will figure it out as you go. I recommend right off the bat, a small blender where the chamber is the actual drinking cup (makes a smaller portion and is much easier to clean and maneuver). Small food processors also work. You will also need a veggies steamer for the stove. And if you plan to can veggies, you will need a pressure canner and/or large pot with rack for "water bathing" your jars of food as well as the mason jars and lids. We also plan to get an Omega juicer very soon so she can drink fresh fruit/veggie juices, especially from our own garden fruits and veggies next summer. We have determined in our research that this one processes the foods less than others, leaving more of the enzymes intact.

IN-SEASON/LOCAL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE: so far Noëlle has eaten steamed and pureed squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, turnips, apples, pears and carrots. And except for the carrots (which are organic) everything else is in-season. Aaron and I try to do this anyway. We eat produce from our own garden, from our farmer's market in summer, and our local natural food co-op.  In-season produce is by far the healthiest and freshest. And why is "fresh" so important really? Well, truly fresh food is alive food. It literally still has life-force and nutrients coursing through it, and that means vital energy and living nutrients transferred into our bodies. Most produce in super markets is not really that fresh as it's been traveling most likely for weeks, unless it is local. Any eggs, meat or goat's milk that I give Noëlle at some point will also be carefully-selected and that means--yes--organic, local if at all possible, minimally processed, and free of all additives. Now, I say "in-season as much as possible" because very few foods are in-season in winter. So at some point it's unavoidable and will come down to organic and homemade whole foods. Although if you do grow or buy local pumpkins and squash, they will keep nicely for months in a cool, dark, dry place. Come spring and summer, I look forward to Noëlle first taste of blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cherries from our garden. Don't live in the country? It doesn't matter! If you live in an urban setting, you can still garden in pots if you are in an apartment or condo, or in a very small plot in your backyard! It is so worth it in terms of providing your family with fresh food AND saving money on groceries. Urban agriculture is gaining momentum, so join the movement by setting up your own!

NO SOY, RICE, OR DAIRY AT ALL: grains and dairy tend to be harder on the system to digest and are the most common food allergens; I have seen enough babies (including myself and my sister) react poorly to grains (rice cereal, wheat, etc) and dairy, to not want to chance it.  I am going to avoid these foods altogether while she is a baby. I believe strongly that raw milk is much easier to digest since its digestive enzymes are intact, but since we don't have or milk our own cow, I am not sure I trust the quality with my baby. And I know that soy is not a true health food, it doesn't process well in the body. Most infant formula is soy-based unfortunately, because soy is such an inexpensive food, and over 90% of all soy is genetically modified. If you do give your baby formula, please be sure it's organic. "USDA-Certified Organic" is our only guarantee that the food is not genetically modified and laden with pesticides, especially soy and corn. I can think of little worse for the human body than genetically modified soy.

So that's it for now! So far the eating is going well. Noëlle like some things better than others (surprisingly, warm plain turnips was a favorite! I think because they were so bland) and everything is working well in her system.

She is a happy girl.  Here she is eating sweet potatoes!

Fun breastfeeding fact: did you know that the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization recommend at least 1-2 years of breastfeeding, even when the baby is eating solid foods? Yes breastfeeding can be a challenge sometimes especially in the beginning, but don't give up without a fight! It is really the best thing for your baby. Now, state legislatures are looking at the readiness with which hospitals "offer" formula to new moms and are wanting to take action against it as it promotes a profitable formula industry over the healthiest option for mother and baby. Even The World Health Organization says that "virtually all mothers" can breastfeed if given the right info. and support. So make sure you get yourself the support you need! Extra bonuses: breastfeeding is free, doesn't require preparation and bottle washing, AND helps you mamas lose the baby weight quicker! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!