Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ahh Banana Bread with...Chia Seeds?

I decided to blog about this today because I just pulled one out of the oven! And the whole house smells amazing. It's a Sunday ritual for us, making banana bread (see my last post ;) after picking up weekly groceries including "Eat Me Tonight" over-ripe bananas from the Yelm Food Co-op. A childhood favorite of mine, banana bread is warm, comforting and absolutely delicious. My husband Aaron loves it just as much--if not more--and he seems to have a little extra pep in his step when it's baking.
Never store-bought (the smell as it's baking is a part of the experience!), I make my own using a basic recipe that I have used many times from The Food Network website. This recipe is absolutely scrumptious and even more so with a little more banana and cinnamon, and a little less flour! Instead of 2 cups flour, I use 1.5 cups and another 1/2 or whole banana. I also use a little more butter and cinnamon and little less sugar.

In addition to the above adjustments, being the health- and environmentally-conscious baker that I am, I make the following ingredient amendments to the regular recipe: First, everything is organic. And instead of white flour, I use unbleached wheat flower (or a wheat-alternative like amaranth to make it gluten-free!); evaporated cane sugar instead of regular ungranulated white sugar; coconut milk instead of cow's milk; sweet cream instead of regular butter; fresh chicken eggs from a local farm; and good quality sea salt instead of iodized. I also often add coconut shavings! Sometimes in the mood for banana-nut bread, I will add a healthy helping of walnuts or pecans. Although the mood struck this time, I discovered we were out. Slightly defeated, I went back to mixing the batter; then, moments later my husband appeared from the pantry with a smile, holding up a bag of organic chia seeds. Chia seeds are rich in protein, fiber, and omega-3 oil, among other things. A powerful little seed! Normally we add them to yogurt and oatmeal...but banana bread? A rather bold move, considering all that rides on a good batch of banana bread for my husband. But what crunchy-chic mama can resist turning a treat into a super food?? Never one to shy away from experimentation, especially one like this, I dumped about a cup in with the dry ingredients. For an hour, we waited patiently...with no peeking. Then, the timer went off! I couldn't wait. Fresh out of the oven, we gave it a try. And the verdict is in: WE LOVE IT!! The chia seeds add a slightly nutty flavor and a much fuller, heartier texture without compromising all that makes banana bread the classic that it is.  So the next time you go to bake some bread or muffins, or some of this banana bread using my favorite recipe above, throw in some chia seeds! Read more on chia seeds here. 

Here's a picture of today's hearty banana-chia seed bread. No, it is not beautiful...but in the choice (and very un-chic) words of my husband "who the f#@% cares?!" So until next time: bake, eat and be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!