Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What's Better Than a Bubble Bath?

Sudsy heaven
Good evening everyone! Today was "bath day" for Noëlle--it happens about 3 times a week--and in the spirit of "bath day," I decided I would share a little about that wonderful concoction called bubble bath, and why you should be cautious when choosing one. I will allow you a rare glimpse into my bathroom just long enough for me to share the must-have ingredients for my perfect bubbly bath. I have blogged about safe baby bath ingredients in "A Better Bathtime for Baby," but now I want to devote this post to the sometimes elusive "adult bath" reserved for those rare, quiet moments somewhere among segments of parenting, working, and sleeping. When Aaron is really stepping up to the plate, and I can slink away to sit in frothy, softly-scented warm water. Those moments of pure me-time bliss. And there is definitely a chic and crunchy formula that you need to know...

I love bubble baths. Always have. I should add that not too long ago I loved bubble baths in ignorance. Then, one day a few years back I turned over my bottle of bubble bath and read the ingredients. Yikes. I threw it out right then and there. Most bubble baths, like the one I was holding, are cesspools of synthetic and toxic chemicals like "fragrance" (which is comprised of god-knows-what chemicals), harsh detergents and foaming agents like sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens (carcinogenic, petroleum-based preservatives), "mutagens" (preservatives like tetrasodium EDTA that cause gene mutation), and penetration enhancers making all of those lovely ingredients easily absorbed. Many also contain formaldehyde-forming ingredients such as bronopol. According to an article by the Daily Mail entitled "Is Your Bubble Bath Safe?" body washes and "bubble baths, which are highly fragranced, have the greatest potential to cause skin irritation, allergic skin reactions, and headaches. In the U.S. they carry a health warning alerting users to possibility of skin irritation and urinary tract infection." PLEASE read the full article here. So now you know it's serious, and you know you have to be more aware of the ingredients in your bubble bath--and your kids' bubble bath--so let's move on to what I do recommend and use myself. Wade through the muck to get to the magic.

My MAGIC Bubble Bath Ingredients
1. Safe bubble bath: I use Seventh Generation Bubble Bath which is non-toxic and 97% bio-based. I am also going to order California Baby Bubble Bath because it's a 0 on the EWG Skin Deep website!
Absolutely ZERO toxins. CB actually has several different types, some with natural fragrances and oils, and some for extra sensitive skin. I will be sure to write my review of this bubble bath on my Facebook page after I use it!
You can also make your own bubble bath using 1 qt of distilled water, 4 ounces of castile soap (which foams), and 4 ounces of natural plant-based glycerin (beware of synthetic glycerin made from petroleum). And add essential oil if you want a scent.
2. A few drops of almond oil or a couple large spoonfuls of coconut oil added to the  warm running water. These are really hydrating for your skin, especially in the winter months! You may not even have to moisturize after your bath :)
3. A few drops of essential oil. It's up to you what you use. Lavender is relaxing, calming and healing; peppermint is uplifting, stimulating, cooling, good for digestion or belly aches, and it reduces outdoor allergy symptoms; eucalyptus is also stimulating and relieves congestion. And there are many more. My favorites are the flower essences: Jasmin, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Geranium, etc. They are aromatherapy, they impact the emotions, and they smell divine. I also love the citrus oils like grapefruit and orange. (note: If you want to know where to get essential oils and which ones to try, I am happy to point you in the right direction. The quality is really important. Just ask me in my comments section or on my Crunchy Chic Facebook page!)
If you follow these steps, I guarantee you will love what you have goin' on in that bathroom and you will love YOU in it. Just add a glass of red wine, some Sade or Sigur Ros on your Bose sound dock, and a good book, and your bath will be legendary. Around the tub maybe you want to place some natural candles that have lead-free wicks. But that's for another post.

So give it a go! Every crunchy chic guy and gal deserves a truly great bubble bath like this one every once in a while. In fact, I think today might just be baby and mama bath-day. I have a new book and a great bottle of wine calling my name...

From my bathtub to yours,

Ms. Crunchy Chic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and hope you will all feel welcomed to share valuable information. Please feel free to ask me a question via the comments section. Thank you for your thoughtful notes!